The 1% landscape and development program
This project that consisted in upgrading the N10 road to environmental standards in the form of the A63 landes highway was the opportunity to set up a local sustainable development program named : « 1% landscape and development ».
The “1% landscape and development” is an original incentive policy initiated by the French government and based on the partnership with all socio-economic actors and local authorities, which aims to finance local landscape and development projects along new highway routes.
Around the A63 landes highway, the “1% landscape” program was defined on the following objectives :
- Getting the most of the exceptional investment obtained, by making through the landscape enhancement a factor of economic and tourist development for the territories crossed by the highway.
- Providing financial support for local initiative projects, by making through the landscape enhancement a factor of economic, touristic and cultural development for the territories crossed by the highway.
It is implemented through :
- A partnership approach between the State, the local communities and the concessionaire
- The allocation of subsidies for studies and local initiative actions with a total budget of 3 M€
It concerns the territory located :
- In a strict “covisibility” area : territories or parts of territories crossed by the A63 infrastructure, that are visible from it or from which part of the A63 infrastructure is visible.
- Or in an area of eligibility : the entire territory of each of the 17 municipalities intercepted by the area of strict covisibility and 4 municipalities whose development is closely linked to the A63.
The program is specified in a local “charter”.
The objectives of the charter are :
1 – To control and harmonize the urban dynamics linked to the A63 : mainly around the economic activity zones, the carpooling areas, the bicycle paths and the cross connections of the A63.
2 – To improve the local urban quality : the key sectors are the cities entrances, the former RN10 road and the city centers.
3 – To preserve natural spaces and reinforce the attractiveness of tourism : natural tourist attractions (e.g. the Leyre), the paths of Compostela, the hiking trails.
Download the “dossier d’axe” (in French) : click here.
Villages and sites : (see projects)